Sunday, January 15, 2012

256.8 - I'm making progress

It's a loss.  I'm very proud of myself for eating my full amount of fruits and veggies every day.  I averaged 8-9 servings a day.  I find that if I have my oatmeal for breakfast with an apple and/or berries, and a huge salad (4 cups of leafy greens, 1 cup tomatoes, 1 cup mushrooms, some berries thrown in) I've reached my fruit and veggie quota for the day.   If I decide to have veggies with supper - great! If not, well, I'm not sweating it.


So, as I was on the computer the other day, I came across this ad:



 OUCH!!  It stopped me in my tracks.  Of course, that's what it's supposed to do.  It's getting the adults talking.  It's making them uncomfortable - exactly with it's meant to do.  I'm wondering, though, if this is the best way to go about it.  I wonder if there will be in increase in eating disorders from these ads.  Overweight kids might see this ad, and just stop eating, or binge/purge.  They may do something like the skittles diet, or live on red bull and No-Doze.  I don't see them having the forethought to purchase healthy food choices.
The parents, however, should take action.  Turn off the TV.  Find a way to get your kids eating better and out moving. It's definitely easier said than done, but you have to at least try.  YOU ARE THE PARENT, and you need to lead by example.  This philosophy is changing the way I live.  My boys are still young, but I have not fallen into the trap that some of the other mothers of toddlers have fallen into.  My boys get some type of veggies/fruits at every meal, and I try my hardest to make sure all their meals are homemade.  No canned/jarred meals for them.  I'm proud of myself for doing it.  I'm trying to set good examples now.  It takes prior planning, but it's something that is important to me. I'm shutting off the TV, I'm exercising, and I'm eating better.  I'm not perfect - I have slip ups, but my boys are seeing me at least try.

No comments:

Post a Comment