Wednesday, April 16, 2014

What a long, strange trip it's been....so far....

When I started on Optifast, I knew I would see physical changes, but I really wasn't prepared for the mental changes that come along with it.  These past 7 weeks have been eye opening to say the least.   Some of the major mental changes/challenges I've noticed are:

1)  Stress eating - I really had no clue just HOW MUCH I would stress eat.  It has been such a comfort to me over the years - It's something you truly don't realize the extent of it until you completely take food away. 

2)  Real hunger vs external triggers - Throughout these past 7 weeks, I'd smell/see/hear something that immediately triggered me to want to eat it.  When I would stop and say "am I really hungry?"  9 out of 10 times, the answer was "no".   

3)  Mindless munching - I've discovered something that I'm hoping won't be my downfall.  It started when I was trying to cook for my family.  It was a new recipe, and I needed to make sure it was okay.  I took a bite, chewed, and spit it out.  No calories were ingested, but I found that one bite of tasting something different made me feel more satisfied that day, helped with the ketosis breath/white tongue, and I still lost weight.  "Eureka!!" I thought.  So, almost every day, I feel like it's okay to chew and spit.  I noticed now I almost crave/expect it around 5 pm every night.  (worrisome issue #1).  I also found yesterday, I tasted 3 or 4 things.  (worrisome issue #2).  I know there is a reason that they don't want you to chew in the program, and all I can think is that it is so you don't have any association with food whatsoever, to help with the food relationship.   I decided to stop do this, unless absolutely necessary (to make sure it's something the kids can handle). 

4) Choices - when you take away the food option, you can really examine the food choices made in the past, and are making for our families.   I've become much more aware of what we put in our bodies.  Since starting this diet, I refuse to get the kids any type of fast food.  If we go out to eat, which I do still do with the kids, we will go to Panera Bread, or Corner Street Bakery.  If it has a drive up window, I stay away.  I've been concentrating on organic for the kids, and making more and more at home.  My new thing is pizza.  We would get pizza once a week, because it was something all 4 of us would eat. Now, I make it at home.  It's cheaper, and I know exactly what's in it.  This week, I'm even going to make my own dough.   I will have a maximum of 1 artificial sweetener a day, and some days I have none.  When I give the kids ice cream, I'll get Bryers - I can pronounce all of their ingredients.  Preparing food at home is a win/win/win situation - I know what's in it, it usually tastes better, and it's usually cheaper.

5)  Rewards - I realized very early on in this just how much we would reward with food.  "Do this and you'll get a candy."  "Do that and you'll get a doughnut".  This was something I put the stops to early on.  It was easy for me, but harder for my mother and my in-laws.  I still don't think they understand fully why I'm asking them not to, but they're trying to follow it. 

I was debating when to go from full fast to modified, and I've decided to wait to at least 12-16 weeks.  I don't think I'm mentally ready for it yet. 

So yes, this journey is physical, but it's so much more mental then I thought.  NOW these meetings make sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment